Monday, January 24, 2011

The Cutler Controversy

After an eventful day of NFL football we have two important news stories coming out of the day.  In my personal opinion it is the Steelers and Packers meeting in the Super Bowl.

I awoke this morning to ESPN on my TV (as I usually do) and the top story was about Jay Cutler and the outrage over his injury.  After having an MRI, it was released that Cutler has a torn MCL in his knee.  Its proven he was legitimately hurt, but everyone is still sticking to their guns.  Seriously?

There is a considerable amount of controversy about this injury coming from fans and players.

First, to the fans.  Have you ever suffered a torn MCL and then played a high impact game?  95% of people probably have not done this.

Let me put it this way tearing your MCL and trying to walk on it (forget run) is like trying to ride a bicycle with 1 training wheel.  If you turn to the right you stay up.  If you turn to the left you suffer an agonizing pain as your leg moves in a way it was never intended to.

Another thing to keep in mind is, if Cutler stayed in this game and the Bears won, we would more than likely see backup Roberto Garza play on Superbowl Sunday anyway.

If I was a fan of the Bears, I wouldn't be mad that he left the game.  What I would be mad at is the fact that Cutler didn't look like he cared about the remainder of the game while sitting on the bench.  Cutler spent the remainder of the game pacing around (on a torn MCL!) and staring blankly toward the field.

Just because you are inactive for the remainder of the game doesn't mean the game is over.  I remember when Tom Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe.  Although Drew ended up being the one carrying the clipboard, he still appeared to be engaged in each and every game, and genuinely excited for his team when something good happened.

This was not Cutler on Sunday night... 

Another interesting thing about this whole thing is the outcry by current and former NFL players via Twitter during the game about the injury.

Tweets from such players as Maurice Jones-Drew:  All I'm saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee... I played the whole season on one...

and Derek Brooks: FOX HAVENT SHOWED ANY TRAINERS LOOKING AT CUTLER, UMMM

and Ross Tucker: I've hurt my knee playing football 4 times. Never once did I then stand up on sidelines afterwards.

and Kirk Morrison: If my knee was hurt or acl/mcl/pcl sprain, I would not be standing up on the sideline. #jaycutler

Good points on all fronts by those former NFL players.  I think the two most interesting were the ones talking about Cutler STANDING on the sidelines.

As the Cutler Controversy unfolds, maybe we will get to find out what really happened.

I do have good news for Jay Cutler...

20 days till pitchers and catchers!  Chicago has two baseball teams, how can they possibly remember what happened in football?

No comments:

Post a Comment